Friday, January 11, 2008

Ich Bin Ein Beijinger

The past few days have been spent holed up in Beijing cafes and exploring the city’s hutongs, small alleyways flanked by grey stone traditional style housing. I found one particularly long street stuffed full of cute wi-fi enabled cafes and lounge bars, home to Beijing’s yuppie population and some younger ex-pats, and the perfect place to hide from the cold January air (which got colder the second I put my mom in a cab to the airport carrying my giant winter hat that I haven’t worn once).

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes: I didn’t have a particularly raucous 21st, because all of my friends are in class and had tests this morning, but I had a nice time going out to dinner with about 10 Beijing classmates and 田老师, one of our first and second-year teachers who left Middlebury and moved here at the end of last year, and later hanging out in the dorms catching up with some of my friends whom I haven’t seen in four months and probably won’t see for another eight. Never fear, I have been promised a second celebration tomorrow night with some friends in Shanghai, and will probably have a third when I get back to the land of the free and the home of the 21 year drinking age and buy my first legal drink (Someone has suggested that I take advantage of my four hour layover in Chicago O’Hare).

This morning I went shopping to the silk market with Lisha, making a couple of last minute purchases and having an odd sense of Déjà vu, pointing out the same messenger bag I bought there two and a half years ago, and the area where I bought the coat I was wearing. Tonight at 8:00 I will get on the night train to Shanghai (I treated myself to a soft sleeper bunk), and tomorrow I will meet up with Lifang who is working in Shanghai and Xueqin who is coming in from Hangzhou. Originally I planned to go to Qingdao and Xi’an before returning to Shanghai, but I’m tired and I’ve seen quite a lot of China, and the appeal just isn’t as great when I’d really like to go home. So on Sunday evening I will fly back to the states. My last 50 or so hours in China start now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AHHHHH so crazy! you had such an awesome run yay :-) but the US will welcome u with open arms